Thursday, February 21, 2008

Parenting.....

So, tonight I had my niece and nephew, ages 2 months old (niece) and almost 10 years old. Along with my 2 1/2 year old. Normally, not that big of a deal, but my sister had to take Olivia to get her first set of shots today. And lets just say she has been quite fussy all night. Ava has been on some kind of mission to be as trying today as she possibly could. And tons of jumping, screaming, laughing, shrieking at the loudest pitch possible, you name it she was doing it. Well unless you mention being quiet and well-behaved. That just was not on her agenda today. Then my nephew Kylar...who is almost 10 here in a couple weeks. One would think he would have been the best behaved out of the three. No such luck. He was in rare form tonight as well. Was there a full moon tonight? Or dare I even ask.

Okay and seriously I thought you didn't get the "Oh my gosh you are so dumb" sigh and looks from them until the teenage years. Am I wrong about that? He is only going to be 10 here in like 2 weeks and already this phase has kicked in. I mean seriously I would have been knocked out if I looked or said half the stuff to my Mom or my Aunts that he will say to me. At 30 years old I wouldn't think to talk or act like that towards my Mom or Aunts. And of course he just thrived on egging Ava on even more with her extreme behavior. Time out was definitely no help in this house tonight, even though Ava was put in time out several times. She would come out of time out and be good for a little bit, then next thing you know she was being lured into the off the wall behavior again by Kylar. How does one even make dinner in all this chaos? Seriously, if I was a Mom of three I think take out would be on our nightly menu. Okay, so not really since well it isn't all that healthy, and amazingly enough I did manage to throw together dinner tonight and we all managed to even sit down and eat together. Even if it was at 7 p.m. when we finally got to sit down and eat. That was even probably the most quiet it was in this house all evening. Then after dinner it is bath time. Oh let me tell you, that was another exciting event. I think I would rather have a root canal done then to relive this evening again. Ava thought she would help me get a jump start on mopping the bathroom floor (which was just done on Monday I might add), when she proceeded to dump several cups of water onto the floor while I was distracted for a moment by Olivia and asked Kylar to keep an eye on her. I guess he thought having her dump water all over the floor was not only beneficial to my floor, but funny as well. Ava is normally in bed by 8:30, but tonight amid all the chaos and having no schedule whatsoever, I managed to get her to bed at 9:30 after putting her to bed at least 6 times. So now my house is finally feeling somewhat normal and quiet.

My hat is off to any parent who has more than one child, and especially those parents who have three or more children. I think if I had more than what I do, I would seriously pass out in the hallway every night after the kids went to bed. Why the hallway you ask? I would be too tired to drag my butt to my bed. Hell, my new bed would probably be crawling in next to the last one I said goodnight too. :)

Here is to hoping Ava worked out what had her going full speed ahead times four today and that tomorrow is a much more calm day.

No comments:

Post a Comment