Friday, March 7, 2008

Lunch Crunch...

We went to lunch last week at Bennigan's with my Mom. They have this "lunch crunch" thing there where you get your lunch within like 15 minutes after you order during the lunch rush. So, they have these stop watches on the table where you can time them. Well, Ava was pretending like it was a wrist watch. I thought that was so funny...especially because I do not wear a watch most of the time...in fact, I cannot even recall the last time I actually wore one. As I have thought more on this instance with Ava though, it made me even more aware at how observant she is of others around her. The people who we surround ourselves with, are also teaching my daughter things. I am not the only influence in her life (which of course I was aware of before posting this). And even though I know this, it is always a good thing to be reminded in the little ways and in the silly reminders such as this "wrist watch" episode. Moments like these, should hopefully make a parent realize that our children pay more attention to what we do, what we say, who we interact with, how we react to situations, as well as how other people act around them, more often than we are ever aware that they do. Our influence on children, impacts their lives on a greater scale than we could ever even begin to imagine. And as adults it is up to us to set an example that teach our children respect, love, kindness, empathy, acceptance, character, dignity, and so many other core values. For those who may not have children, it is still just as important to set these examples, because they are watching you as well. As adults and as parents, it is never wise to live by the saying "do as I say, not as I do". I often times catch my daughter emulating my actions, more than I see her repeating the things that I say. I am simply just saying! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment