Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Want It and I Want It NOW!!!

We want what we want, when we want it. So here it is the end of day 2 of my promise to follow Lent. To give up eating out for the next 40 days. Day 1 I said to myself, well I am not Catholic so I don't really have to follow this. So if I decide to eat out somewhere for dinner then it is ok. I mean really does it even matter...afterall I am not Catholic. Funny how the mind (and perhaps Satan too) tries to mess with our thinking and to try and reason with us to break our promise to God. It doesn't matter which denomination or faith we follow, a promise to God is a promise to God. And that is the plain and simple truth.

I know that if I am going to make it through this time of sacrifice I am going to have to think of this in a whole other way. If I don't, these may be the longest 40 days of my life. When we tell ourselves we cannot have something, we want it even more. That is just how the mind works. So I have to change my way of thinking when it comes to this. So I am looking at it through the eyes of simply being a Christian and thinking of the sacrifices God has made for me and the sacrifices Jesus has made for me. God didn't tell me I couldn't eat out. God has given us the ability to think for ourselves. We all have free-will to do and think as we please. So this morning I decided to change my attitude on this and recognize this is a choice I made. This is something I decided to do for 40 days. I made that choice. I am also looking at this with the mindset of what am I going to gain for doing this as well. I am looking forward to the positive changes this will make in my life. I don't for one minute think this is going to be a walk in the park, but I know this will be a test of my commitment to God. It will also bring me closer to Ava and though her and I are already close, it will reinforce the bond I have with her and any extra quality time I can spend with her is truly a gift. It is a time for us to sit down at the table each night and talk, laugh, and share our day with one another. It will also be a cleansing experience for our bodies. I am intrested in seeing how much better I am going to feel at the end of these 40 days and how this is going to be a change in our lives that is positive.

Oh and as for day 1 and 2...we didn't eat out! Even when my Mom had McDonald's for lunch today I passed up on it and instead made myself some chili. That was an extra $6.00 in my pocket! Onto day 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment