Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why Oh Why???

Crayons. Pencils. Markers. Chalk. Pens. + Big White Wall + Children = Disaster 
Or Masterpiece...however you prefer to look at it.  
I think disaster.

It tries my sanity.  Really it does.  I've never looked at a wall that Ava has written or drawn on and my first reaction being aww how cute.  Oh she just might be the next Picasso. Never.  No matter how little she was. Amazingly I didn't take a photo of it, but today I was cleaning Ava's room with her and I see this stamp of a princess shoe, stamped in pink on her wall. Multiple times. On the side of her bed. Hidden out of view. Then I see a stick figure drawing possibly in pencil. My first reaction. Why? Why does she do this. When did it happen.  Wait. Really it didn't matter when it happened. I was just irritated by the fact that it happened. Again. Especially after the marker incident with Ava's sheet a couple weeks ago. Granted that wasn't Ava's fault, but seriously I am pretty sure I lost any sanity I had left. 

Calmly I asked Ava who did that to her wall and she told me she did the stamping.  Great. And one of my niece's drew the stick figure.  Great. So then I calmly ask for all her pencils, markers, crayons, etc. in her room.   It isn't like this is the first time or the 10th time we've had this no marking on walls discussion. Ava knows well by now that we write on paper. Not on walls. At this point I want to ban her from ever using a writing utensil again.  Clearly  not possible  since she has to go to school and do homework and things like that, but writing on walls is a pet peeve of mine if you couldn't already tell.  So, of course, Ava is crying because she knows she isn't supposed to write or draw on the walls.  I am ready to cry or pull out my hair because I am so frustrated telling her yet again WE DO NOT WRITE ON WALLS.  WE WRITE ON PAPER.  So I tell her she cannot use pretty pencils anymore.  And I seriously break like 12 cute pencils she has.  Yep. Right in half.  I then bag up all her crayons she has...because she seriously has like 350 crayons you know everyone needs 10 red crayons, and 13 blue crayons. Right. 

Then in my Mommy fit of frustration...amazingly I wasn't yelling or raging.  I remained calm but you Mom's know that crazy kind of calm. I asked Ava to write on her wall in front of me.  I mean if she can do it in private when I am not in her room then go ahead and mark on her wall while I am there.  She of course is smart and wasn't going to do it.  So I am pretty sure I am crazy at this point and I am like why not?  How would you like it if I wrote on your wall. Would you like that?  Of course, she says no. So I am like but you think it is ok to do it if I am not around.  So I take a crayon and write her name on her wall and I am like do you think that is ok.  She says no.  So I am like it isn't very nice of me to write on your stuff and to tear your things up is it?  I just want her to realize this is not ok for the millionth time.  So then I am like maybe I will tell your Dad you did this.  So her being quite intelligent she said to me "but it isn't even in my hand writing."  Seriously I wanted to laugh because that was quite the clever comeback. lol  She is so my kid.  Well minus the writing on the wall part...you know when I am not trying to prove a point of course.

I wouldn't have done that if I didn't have a magic eraser on hand of course.  But today I do hope I got my point across that it isn't ok to write on walls or to let others write on her walls and tear her things up.  And yes I did throw out her crayons.  I am sure there are 125 different projects I could have made out of them and posted on pinterest, but today I just don't want to see another crayon in her room.  As for the pencils we still have about 50 plain yellow #2 pencils and some cute ones too, but they are put up for now as well.  We did talk about being responsible and taking care of our things and not destroying things in our house.  So I am not truly crazy all the time, but man sometimes being a Mom can pose a challenge that just makes you want to throw a temper tantrum yourself.  

And yes, it is already magic erased off the wall.  Like 2 minutes after it happened.  I could never be a graffiti artist...even if I could draw really well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment