Friday, August 10, 2012

Saw it on Pinterest...

I love Pinterest.  I do.  I could spend hours on there just looking at all the creative projects, recipes, funny quotes, decorating ideas, etc.  It's quite an addicting site.  Really. It is.


Awhile back, I saw this adorable idea (photo above) to take a plate from the dollar store, use some sharpie markers and let kids decorate them.  Then you bake them in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.  Seriously how cute and how fun would that be for kids to do.  Coloring on plates and for fun.  Why yes, I think so.  :)


So Ava had a sleepover with her friend Natalie last night, and I thought this would be fun for them to do.  I picked up a couple plates at the dollar store and I already had sharpie markers on hand.  The above plate is Ava's.  It is her and her BFF Natalie together.  The squiggly marks/puffs are clouds...and yes her clouds even touch the ground and clearly she is mimicking the color of grass we have now which is pretty yellowish/with just hints of a little green here and there.  lol  


And this plate was decorated by Natalie.  She incorporated the BFF scene in her's too because afterall that is what BFF's do when they are 2nd graders.  I love how colorful her plate is and I love how she wrote their names at the bottom of the plate too.  So cute.  :)

This would be a fun project to do for birthday parties or for gifts for teachers, parents, grandparents, etc.  Might have to try this with bowls and coffee mugs too.  Oh and I was so wishing I'd picked up an extra plate for me to decorate.  I will have to hit the dollar store up again, because I just might find myself doing this once school goes back.  lol Always a kid at heart.

6 comments:

  1. How adorable!! You gotta love Pinterest! I saw a similar craft like ths done on a coffee cup. I'm with you - I could stay on Pinterest for hours an hours:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Kris. Glad I am not the only one who is addicted. I do try to only get on there when Ava isn't home or else she is in bed. lol

      Delete
  2. pintrest rocks!! new follower saying hello :)

    joanna-dan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joanna it does. :) Welcome to my blog. :)

      Delete
  3. Did you use regular sharpies.. or oil based ones? I did a ceramic coffee mug and used oil ones and baked it...
    Are the plates you used plastic? Or no... and do u eat on them or r they for show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. I used the oil based Sharpie Paint Markers/pens. And we used glass plates from one of those $ stores. We do use the plates. I have never put them in the dishwasher, just because I didn't know how they would do and didn't want to take the risk of the artwork being washed away. Really I should make one and see how it holds up through the dishwasher. But we just hand wash them and so far so good almost 2 years later. I know Hobby Lobby carries some of the Sharpie Paint Markers, but so does Amazon and that is where I purchased mine.

      Delete