Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sweet Treats...

This weekend we went down to Arts In The Park.  We invited Ava's friend Natalie along with us as well.  The band this year was kind of lame at Arts in The Park for two 7 year old's at least, so we headed over to Del's Popcorn Shop and they spent quite a bit of time in there.

Del's opened in 1934 in Downtown Decatur, and it is still a huge hit today.  Their caramel apples are eagerly anticipated every fall.  And word spreads quickly when they become available. 

I, of course, had to get a photo of the girls outside Del's posing under the sign.  I'd love to go back to when they first opened and see what it was like.  A time when our downtown area was where all the action and fun was.  :)

I've done photo sessions using this doorway before.  I love the Caution sign painted on the step.

Natalie posing for me.  She wanted a picture in this doorway because she has seen a photo of Ava in this doorway, so she wanted one as well.  How could I refuse the request of such a cute girl.  :)

Best friends - Ava & Natalie

The girls grabbed a basket and started filling them with their sweet treats.  Del's has a candy shop on one side and the popcorn shop is on the other side.  

Gold and Silver Coin Chocolates.  Ava loved these.  :)

Warheads - Extreme Sour Candy...and oh my they are quite sour!  I've had the Crybabies Bubble Gum, and that is NOTHING compared to these babies.  Especially the lemon ones.

Little tiny Pez candies.  Ava has several Pez dispensers and so she scooped up several of these! 

Atomic Fireballs! Hot! Hot! Hot!  :)

A sports display inside an old popcorn popper stand.  So neat.  And of course lots of Fighting Illini themed goodies throughout the shop!  :)

Army/Military Display.  I liked the green army box.

 Ava was in sugary sweet heaven with all this stuff.  :)

Trying to decide what to get is the hardest thing of all. 

See it's quite a big deal about those caramel apples!  And I didn't even get a picture of them.  Will have to do that next time I go in there.  :)

The ladies busy making popcorn for the customers.  This tiny shop was packed with people waiting for some popcorn and getting candy.  

Yummy popcorn balls.  I didn't end up getting any of these, but we did get a nice big bag of popcorn as well. 

On our way back down to the Art Festival loaded up with their candy and popcorn.  :)  What I love more than anything about Del's, is the age of this little shop and how it's still open.  With the way things have changed in our city, this tiny little shop is still going strong and it's such a big piece of the history here.  You don't find that very often anymore.  Granted it was around 40+ years before I was even born, I really love the fact I can share something from my childhood, with my child now.  It's the little things like this in life, that make it so rewarding.  :)

6 comments:

  1. What a great little shop, and how wonderful that it is still open and thriving! I remember a penny candy store that we would frequent when I was six or seven years old, wide-eyed and excited at all the choices. Fifteen cents would get me a whole bag full of goodies. Love the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. :) They did have a gumball machine there you could put a penny in and get a gumball. That was the only thing for a penny though. lol

      Delete
  2. What a great post!! I have fond memories of going to the penny candy shop with my dad. Do you remember the candy, Squirrels? They were hard chewy candy that had a taffy peanut butter taste to them. They were my favorites. I love how this shop is still going strong!! You have me wondering how big is your city? I pictured it being a small town. The girls looked like they had a great time..great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! They had so much fun. On the way out of the shop I saw candy cigarettes and I remember my Grandpa buying those for us as kids. You don't see many kids with those any more. Can you imagine the looks you'd get from people if you let your kids have those now days. lol The city I live in is probably around 80,000 people or so. I only live about 35 minutes from our state capital.

      Delete
  3. What a super nice place! I enjoy the shops or stores that have stayed around. If someone had a sweet tooth, it would definitely be satisfied there! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda. It is a treat to go in there for sure. And for something to be around in this day and age, just gives you a good feeling and it's such a joy to be able to share it with a new generation. :)

    ReplyDelete