Sunday, November 18, 2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 18


I am thankful for my Dad.  He isn't my birth father, but he has been my Dad since I was almost 2 1/2 years old.  He adopted my sister and me with a year or two after my Mom married him.  He stepped up to be our Dad when he never had too.  He took a chance on a single woman with two little girls.  Growing up, I never felt like I didn't have a Dad.  He raised us as his own.  Our relationship hasn't always been perfect, or without issues, probably more so into my adult years.  We have very different views on a lot of things but at the end of the day he is the one and only person I will always consider to be my Dad. I have good memories throughout my childhood though.  He is one of the hardest working people I know.  He is always on the go.  Even still.  He loves God. He is always fixing or building something.  He has a hard time saying no to helping someone out.  He loves westerns on TV and always has.  Even when we hated watching them on the weekends growing up.  When I was little we would sit down every time I would get the monthly scholastic reader from school and he would let me pick out several books all the time.  Even to this day my favorite thing Ava brings home each month is that scholastic reader order form.  It brings back wonderful childhood memories. :)  He was never one to really cuss when I was growing up.  My sister, brothers, and I knew we were in big trouble and he was at his limit when we could irritate him enough to say "damn".  That was the worst word he used and oh boy did we know we were in trouble then.  lol  Even to this day it is something we joke about. 

I fully believe just about any man can be a father, but it takes someone really special to be a "Dad". Especially when a man steps up and wants to be the Dad of children who are not biologically their own.    

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your dad! He sounds like he is a wonderful man. Does he live close to you and Ava?

    ReplyDelete