Monday, November 19, 2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 19

I am thankful for my Grandpa and the most incredible memories I have of him. 


My Grandpa was my world.  He was someone I could always count on.  From the time I was born until the day he passed away.  He was one of the most amazing people I've ever known in my life.  He had the kind of personality a person is just drawn too.  He never knew a stranger.  Everywhere he went he knew someone and if he didn't know someone he left there having made a friend.  If we brought someone to a family get together he never made them feel like any less than part of the family and like they had been a part of our family their entire life.  Oh my and when he laughed his cheeks got so rosy red and you couldn't help but smile.  And his hands.  I think they were the biggest and strongest hands that have ever held mine.  I loved his hands.  He was never afraid or to busy even to tell you that he loved you over and over again.  He would drive into town during the middle of storms and on icy roads to make sure we had what we needed, even though he had no business being out himself.  But he didn't care, he was going to make sure his family was safe and taken care of.  Plus, he wanted to see what was going on anyway so he could be the one to tell you just how bad it as out.  He loved to sit on his front porch and watch cars and people go by.  And if you ever got in the car with him to go grab a bite to eat, you didn't know if you would be back in an hour or if you would end up 3 hours away for some White Castle cheeseburgers.  lol  He loved sports.  He was a die hard St. Louis Cardinals fan.  He would tease my oldest brother and cousin because they are die hard Chicago Cub fans.  lol He was a Chicago Bears and Fighting Illini fan too.  He loved to play cards.  He also had this big jar of change and he and I would play this game where he would shake the change and I would call either heads or tails.  Then he would drop it onto the table and I would get all the change that was whatever I called.  We played this "betting" game all the time.  And even if I would lose, he would give me all the money anyway.  I have the best memories of him.  I rarely ever remember seeing him angry or yelling. Oh we could irritate him by keeping the refrigerator door open or running in and out of the house slamming the screen door, but he never stayed mad.  Never.  Oh how I miss him.  26 years with him just doesn't seem like quite enough.  I know my life was so richly blessed though to have had him for that long.  I will be forever thankful for having such a special person in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Your grandpa sounded like an amazing and loving man! He left you with the most precious of memories..you are so blessed:-)

    ReplyDelete