Friday, January 31, 2014

Hello, Hello, Hello...

I haven't blogged in so long on here, I think I might have forgotten how.  lol  I just spent a good portion of this morning after getting Ava off to school, updating the look of my blog.  The last several months have been super busy around here.  Ava finished her JFL cheerleading season in October and with that came the start of Girl Scouts and her first year of beginning to learn the ins and outs of basketball.  She loved it of course.  We also celebrated the traditional holidays as well.  My oven went out on Thanksgiving just as I turned it on to do the baking I needed to do.  Of all days in the entire year for an oven to go out.  But we survived that.  

My niece Olivia turned 6 in December.  A week before Christmas. Every year, when Ava or my nieces and nephews get another year older, I sit in wonder of where the last year has gone.  It goes by so quickly.  


We had a wonderful Christmas.  Ava got her first American Girl Doll.  She has been asking for one for the last couple of years and I knew she must really, really want one if she had been asking regularly. So she ended up getting the Julie one, but now that the new girl of the year doll is out, she would love to have her as well.  She sleeps with her doll every single night and plays with her daily.  So, definitely money well spent.  


This Christmas we made Gingerbread Houses with Ava and my niece and let's just say all was going fine until my niece's gingerbread house collapsed and wouldn't stay together!  The photo below seriously makes me giggle every time I see it. 


This year I finally caved and decided to introduce the Elf on a Shelf.  I couldn't get Ava one though and not have one for my niece Olivia.  So both girls got an Elf.  Let me just say these things really take work if you want to make them fun.  lol  But Ava and Olivia both loved having their own Elf.  


That is until they had to return home.  Our Elves didn't follow all the Elf rules though.  In fact, ours were quite rebellious.  Ava even slept with her each night and oh no I even let Ava hold her and play with her. Both girls were very sad to see their elves return to the North Pole.  In fact, Olivia had a little meltdown over it.  Poor kid...gingerbread houses collapsing and having to say see you later to her elf. What a tough Christmas for her.  lol

January for us has been crazy with the weather.  I think Ava had a good portion of this month off from school because of the weather.  We have had several -20+ degree days (with the wind chill) and snow, and more snow, but it's been so cold out it isn't even snow she can really play in too much.  And here we are again today, with if you guessed more snow this morning you would be right!  And we are supposed to be getting more snow and ice over the weekend.  She had school 2 days last week and she has had 3 days of school this week.  All the schools were out around here on Monday and Tuesday with how cold it has been.  I am ready to definitely say good-bye to winter and hello to spring.  I think we have just a little over 5 weeks until we get to set our clocks forward and daylight savings time begins! Can you tell I am really looking forward to nicer weather. lol  It cannot come soon enough.  This weather just makes me want to take a nap...and today's weather is perfect for that.   

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you are blogging again! I love the new look of your blog! Sounds like life has been pretty busy. I love the picture Ava and her American Girl doll! Maybe one day you can take a trip to the store in Chicago. I hear it is an experience! We have been having the same type of winter as you have been getting. It seems like it is never going to end. I miss baseball so much and I'm afraid it is going to be snowing when the season starts. It looks like you all had a fun time with Elf! I think having a rebellious elf has to be more fun..LOL. Have a great weekend and try and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! There is an American Girl Doll store in St. Louis too and that is a little closer to us. Not much, but St. Louis is big and busy, but not nearly as bad as Chicago. I am thinking of surprising her one day and just doing a weekend trip to St. Louis. Having a rebellious Elf definitely makes life and planning for it much easier. lol She had her good days too, but she was definitely an ornery little elf. :)

      Delete
  2. P.S. I LOVE the family photo you used for your banner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris! I took it in late fall. This photo was a "Christmas" gift for my Mom. She doesn't realize what or who it is, but I know and I know she would have loved it as a gift. Trying to get 7 kids and the youngest being just 7 months old in the photo was quite an experience. Though getting the 7 month old to look and smile was the easiest part of all. lol

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are great. It is nice to 'meet' everyone. Hope you can blog more often now. Winter has to come to an end, and the sooner, the better! Have a good weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! And yes I keep telling myself winter has to come to an end eventually. lol enjoy your weekend as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Hearing about Ava and Olivia (and you) again makes me so happy! You have been missed!! Lots of folks had the Elf this year and it has been fun seeing the photos of where s/he turns up each day. I'm sure the adults enjoy it as much as the kids. Poor Olivia, though.... I love the new look of your blog! Well done! The streaming photos are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri. I've missed blogging too and seeing what everyone has been up too. Hoping I can keep up more regularly now.

      Delete